Saturday, November 10, 2012

Holiday Bazaars...we went, we conquered and we're pooped!

How is it that we were only out for 3 hours and we come home and we are totally pooped and my house is trashed?  I love going out with the boys but it is a lot of work and it is stressful.  Stressful because we worry that they will be safe, that we have all the equipment that we need, that we have their food, that Casey will not 'yell', that Colin will hate it and just keep saying, "out, out, out."  We worry about pushing the boys through the crowds.  We worry about germs.  We worry about steps and elevators.  We worry about people staring at the boys...the list goes on.  Why do we still go out?  Because we want to do normal things with the boys.  We want to do normal things ourselves.  We want people to see the boys and learn not to be afraid or freaked out by their equipment and wheelchairs.  We just want to be a family.

And, going to the holiday bazaars is a tradition.  It's changed some over years.  Some churches don't hold them anymore, some have changed locations.   But we always hit at least 3.  This year we brought the boys into two and Nancy H and I went into the 3rd one ourselves.  It really is not an easy feat getting the boys in and out of the van and doing it 6 times was enough this year.  They didn't mind hanging in the van with Dad at the last one.  I think they enjoy seeing the crafts and the people but I'm sure they (especially Colin) worry about people bumping into them and us having to push them through the crowd without their being able to protect themselves from flailing arms and distracted shoppers is probably leaves them feeling anxious.  

So we left at about 10:30 or so.  Hit St. James first.  Saw Alaina and Jennifer (Alaina's Mosaics) and chatted with them.  Saw Heather and Connor and a few other friends.  One woman was giving out a little stocking with candy to the kids that came through.  When she knew that the boys couldn't have candy, she gave us the little angel ornaments that we were looking at for Aunt Chris.  So, Casey didn't have to spend any money to get his gift for AC, lol.  They had some beautiful raffle baskets and I had fun deciding which baskets to go for.  I hope I get a phone call from them later!  Last year I won a dog themed basked which was exciting.

Then we headed over Grandma O's and picked her up.  I convinced her that she should go to at least one with us.  Headed over to the Rec Department where Holy Family now holds their bazaars since the parish hall burned down.  What are the chances that we'd find a Scooby Doo book and two whale books that we don't already have????  The boys were happy with that.  Colin picked out something for AC for Christmas which I won't describe since she will probably be reading this.  Bought some yummy looking bar cookies and some trail mix.  Put in for some raffles there, too.  Then we dropped Grandma off at home.  One was enough for her :)

Headed to the Congregational Church.  The parking lot was PACKED and the boys were pretty much done so Gene stayed in the van with the boys while Nancy and I went in.   I'll tell ya.  All of the places we went had very nice people but this church really has the nicest.  Everyone was so courteous and happy and gracious and they had a lot of people showing you where things were, etc.  It's an old building with lots of different rooms and levels so things are kind of spread out.  I remember last year the boys went in and we had to use a little elevator.  Anyway, we found some more yummy treats.  I found something for Julia for her birthday.  I bought a Christmas book by a Vermont author...hmm, I think there were a couple of more things.

Headed home after that.

Casey stayed in his chair and watched some college football for bit and Colin got in his spot in the living room.

We're all snuggled in here now, including Jaxon who is half on my lap.  Gene has the wood stove on.  I'm waiting for a call from one of the churches to let me know that I won something!  We'll see!


1 comment:

  1. YAY! I am getting a birthday present! WOOHOO! :)

    Seriously- the Congregational Church really does have the nicest people. That's where we go, to their thrift store, and they are the ones that take the hats and stuff I make to the hospital. If I ever dared to go back to church again, this is where I would go. For realz.

    Glad you all had such a good time!

    ReplyDelete