Wednesday, November 14, 2012

30 Days of Thankfulness-Day 13-Something Old

Technically, a person is a thing, right???  I've wanted to show my thankfulness for my parents and I didn't want to wait until Day 30, so I'm plugging them into "Something Old."  Well, they are old, and I'm sure they'd admit it.  They are both 86-years-old.   Actually, Mom will be 87 on December 14th, and Dad will be 87 on December 20th.

I'll start off by thanking them for giving me many experiences and other things that I am thankful for.

I'll start a list:

Montessori School:  Thank you for sending me to Montessori school for my formative years.  I made a good friend there and I learned organization and neatness and I'm a REALLY good pour-er!  I always offer to pour things when the situation comes up and I always thank Montessori school for teaching me, lol.

Our dog, Commandant (AKA Comma): (although I think my brother gave our dog to Mom for Mother's Day one year when I was about 5 or 6), but she was my companion for years.

Our boat, The Wild Goose:  So many memories of sailing around the sound, having hamburgers cooked over the stern on a grill, Mom's beef stew that we'd have the second night after it thawed out.  And, my dinghy, the Suzy C.  I loved rowing and I know if I was plopped down in a row boat right now it would all come right back to me.

The cabin in Maine:  I wish it was still there exactly like it was 30 some odd years ago and we could time warp back there.  The blueberry picking, the lobster pound, Ellsworth, sailing, the smell of the pine trees, the ping pong table, the well (I would love to haul up some water from it right now!), bringing Laura and Mary with us...I could go on and on.

St. Thomas:  How many kids get to live there for a month or two and swim and snorkel and enjoy the island?

England and Ireland:  Again, how many kids get to take off from school and go touring around England and Ireland and experience castles and the moors and live in a thatched cottage?

Disney World:  Thanks for being such good sports and going around the parks with us at Disney World for Casey's Make a Wish Trip. 

My Audi Fox:  Almost forgot.  My first car.  Thanks for my very special first car and getting it repainted for me in fire engine red.

The Barton House:  I never actually lived there but I loved that place and I know you would have gotten me a horse if I had decided to live in the boonies.

Hiking with Dad:  I wish we had a chance to do more Vermont mountains but I'm thankful for the ones we did.  I wish I could remember the names, but I know you do :)

Love of reading:   Everyone in our family loves to read.  Mom, Dad, Chris, me, and even Bobby was known to love to read.  It's one of my greatest pleasures.  I wish, wish, wish, I had kept of the log of all the books I have read over the years.  I have no clue as to how many I'd be up to now but I know it would be thousands. 

St. Michael's College:  Those four years at St. Mike's shaped a lot of who I've become.  I'm sure they wish that I had 'used' the skills that I learned there in a career, and I do, too, but I know they know how happy I am to be home with my boys and care for them.  If the boys hadn't had SMA, it would have been different and I KNOW I would have become a writer/editor/photographer/researcher or something along those lines. 

Slides:  I am very thankful that my dad was a shutter bug and took thousands of slide of us growing up.  One of these days I really am going to scan them and put them on a USB hub so that we can view them on the computer.

Our wedding:  Gene and I had a beautiful wedding--just how we wanted it, and we are very grateful for it all.

I'm also thankful that they put up with my teenage behaviors and that we all survived my teenage years.  I really did turn out okay but I'm sure they both had their doubts over those years.  Maria still can't believe that Dad would pick me up at 4:00 in the morning after I'd been out partying all night.  I guess it means that he loves me :) 

Of course there are many more experiences to list but I'm not ready to write my book--not quite.  






1 comment: