Thursday, November 15, 2012

30 Days of Thankfulness-Day 15-A Recipe

This one's easy. This is a dish that we have every Thanksgiving and every Christmas, and usually on Easter, too.  Why don't we have it other times???  Tradition, I guess. 

Swiss Corn Bake.  The name of it might turn you off but it is really good.  I think Mom got it originally from someone at Montessori way back in the 70s.  Maybe it was a teacher or a parent, or one of the fundraiser cookbooks?  I don't quite remember but I do remember that everyone loves it when they try it. 

Actually, just recently, my nephew RJ was here for dinner one night when his mom (Peggy) was visiting from out of state.  He seemed happy with everything and was happily eating away and out of no where he says, "Wait, where is that corn casserole??"  We all laughed and I told him he'd have to wait for Thanksgiving...I guess you had to be there, lol.

I will also have to admit here that I'm not the one that makes this dish.  I'm perfectly capable of making it, and I have before, but it's tradition for my sister, Chris, (AC) to make it for our holiday gatherings.  Maybe that's why we only have it 2 or 3 times a year---because Chris hardly EVER cooks! 

Here it is:

1 16 ounce can corn, drained
1 5 1/2 oz can evaporated milk
1 cup shredded swiss (about 4 ounces)
2 beaten eggs
2 TBS. chopped onion
1 cup bread crumbs
2 TBS melted butter

Combine corn, milk, 3/4 of the cheese, eggs, onion and pepper (black pepper, to taste)

Put into casserole dish

Toss bread crumbs with butter and remaining cheese and put on top of corn mixture

Bake at 350 degrees for about 1/2 hour with lid or foil.  Remove lid and bake for about 10 more minutes until brown and bubbly.

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment