Monday, November 5, 2012

Frost on the Pumpkin

Made this the other day.  NO one who has tried it has ever disliked it!

This dessert came to my attention by a friend that I used to work with.  I really, really don't enjoy pumpkin, but I tried it and I liked it!  I've made it once every fall season since.  It's very rich--a little piece will do!


Ingredients for cake:

2 cups canned pumpkin (I used a can which is just under 2 cups)
1 can evaporated milk (12 oz)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans (I usually use walnuts since I usually have them in the cupboard)
3 eggs
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
2 sticks margarine or butter (sometimes I use 1 stick of each)
1 box yellow cake mix

Ingredients for frosting:

8 oz. cream cheese
2 cups confectionary sugar
1 cup cool whip (you may increase or decrease to change sweetness to your liking)

9X13 pan
wax paper


Step 1: Preheat oven to 325 degrees
             Grease 9X13 pan, then line with wax paper and grease (Pam with butter works great)

Step:2  Mix pumpkin, milk, sugar, eggs, and spices.  Pour in prepared pan.

Step 3:  Sift cake mix over pumpkin mixture

Step 4:  Spread nuts over cake mix and press down slightly

Step 5:  Melt butter and then take off heat.  Pour butter over nuts.

Step 6:  Bake until firm in the middle (In my oven it tok 1 hour and 20 minutes) the original recipe says 60 minutes.

Step 7:  Cool completely.  Then flip cake over onto serving plate. 


To Make Frosting:

Use mixer to combine softened cream cheese and powdered sugar.  Add cool whip to your liking.  (I make the frosting when the cake is baking and put it in the fridge to firm up)

I also store the finished cake in the fridge because of the frosting ingredients.

No comments:

Post a Comment