Sunday, January 9, 2011

When it's quiet around here, it's noisy!

The boys were asleep. I was sleeping on the couch because we had a night nurse that hadn't been here since August...All should be quiet, right?? Weeeellll... Gene set up the humidifier/air purifier in the living room. It's clunky and old and very noisy. Gene says, "Fine, our bedroom is really dry so I'll put it up there." Then Gene decides to make bread in the bread machine (this is at 11:00 PM.) I said, "You're not going to put that on the table, are you?" (the table is right by my head.) Gene says, "Fine, I can put it upstairs in the bedroom." Weird, but okay with me.

Trying to sleep. Hear the hum of the boys machines. Normal and fine. Crack--Pop! The wood stove is alive!

11:30 nurse comes out to get Casey's meds. "What is that noise?" Grrr. It's the bread machine clanking and banging away. We can distinctly hear it through the vent between the living room and the bedroom. Do you know how LONG bread takes to mix and knead?! Seems like forever when you're trying to fall asleep.

Griiiinddd, scrape. Plow trucks going by every two minutes.

Trying to sleep.

Static. For some weird reason the baby monitor in the kitchen is putting out static and I can't hear the boys sounds. Get up and investigate. No, the monitor in their room had not fallen over. Hmmm. Go upstairs and pull the plug on the humidifier. Ahhhh, I didn't realize that I had been hearing the constant hum of the humidifier through that same vent. No interference up here. Weird.

Still interference downstairs. Suck it up. Try to sleep. Trust the nurse. Can't. Can't sleep without hearing the boys' night sounds.

Go upstairs. See that there is 32 minutes left to go on the bread. Go downstairs. Wait. When it buzzes for doneness go upstairs and unplug bread machine. Got downstairs and check. STILL interference.

Decide to sleep upstairs and listen from the bedroom (yes, it will be harder for the nurse to ask a question but I can hear beeps, fusses and sleep sounds).

Ah! Comfy and quiet. SNORE!!!!! NO, it's not me! Sigh.

Now what?
......

Random pic of the day:

4 comments:

  1. I see the badge!!!! I love this post, you made me laugh (hope the bread turned out)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I AM DYING! Who puts the bread machine upstairs??!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. by the way Sue - this is Peggy - not Steve! He must be signed in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha Ha Ha
    I think our husbands should meet.

    ReplyDelete