Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Nurses Galore

Today was a very nursey day :)

Both boys had day nurses, evening nurses and a night nurse! A couple of days a week we have an evening nurse--usually for Casey. (But they unofficially help us with both boys.) Julie does an evening now and again and tonight was one of them. Aunt Chris was here, too, so we had quite a menagerie of people!

I made myself as scarce as I could (which wasn't very) and did paperwork, laundry, putting stuff away, etc.

Colin has speech after school today so he was quite 'educated' and just wanted to sink into his cartoons. Casey had a pretty good day until the end, again, so he didn't get wii or football (via Mel). Again, don't feel sorry for him--he had it all laid out in front of him and he chose the yelling road. Oh well. I think he's starting to get it.

Good thing of today: Casey's switch on his power chair DOES work properly! Long story short: Claire, the OT went over to the school to check it out. They played around with it and got it working perfectly. Apparently, yesterday they had it taped to the bottom of the Plexiglas instead of the Velcro. Thus, the switch was TOO close to the Plexiglas and threw off the beam. Jack, the tech, came anyway, and they all decided that it was a good thing that he came because if he didn't, Murphy's Law would have been in effect and it wouldn't have worked. Plus, Jack looked at the cord that is supposed to run the vent and saw where it's damaged so he put it on his list of things to replace.

Casey's class is going to be reading The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton. I think it's a little mature for 8th graders but I think he'll 'get it'. He read (as an accommodation) the Cliff's Notes with Julie this evening. He was very attentive and they talked about some of the issues that will come up in the book. He gets excited when talking about how people are different and can have conflicts and how good and bad things can come out of the differences and conflicts. He also has the movie on his DynaVox that he'll be watching.

Gene made some killer ham and scalloped potatoes tonight. It took a heck of a long time for the potatoes to finally get to the properly cooked consistency, but it was worth the wait! It tastes like it has cheese in it but it doesn't. Somehow, he makes the sauce so rich and smooth and creamy. Yum.

Random pic of the day: Casey at Kate's Place 2009

2 comments:

  1. I hope you enjoyed your nurse-filled day. I'm sure it's not often you get a lot of help. Our insurance does not pay for nurses to stay home with Joseph. We have a nice lady that we pay out of pocket, who comes three or four times a week. When I'm home and she's around, I take 1 to 4 hours of Me-time which usually involves me reading a book undisturbed or napping. I love it even if it's just once a week. Anyway, I downloaded the Talking Cat app and we all had fun with it tonight. It's amazing how it accurately copies Jojo's tiny laugh and my extra-loud laugh that my husband always picks on. Thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to disagree on The Outsiders being too mature for 8th graders......I bet I read it at least in 6th grade. I read a lot of stuff that was above my "level" all the time though, so who knows. I think Casey will totally get into it being the rebel that he is! :)

    ReplyDelete