Saturday, August 5, 2023

SMA awareness day 5/Wonder

 Not much happened today—again!  We are so boring. 

I cleaned out the Volvo. That was the highlight. Not kidding!  

But actually, after the Red Sox LOST again, Casey and I watched Wonder. Years ago I read it with the boys. I remember reading it with Colin the summer that we didn’t do summer school. I made a little summer school for him. I have a pic of a sentence he wrote after we started the book. Both boys always had a hard time with expressive writing. So this was pretty cool that Colin did this. It just came through my Timehop the other day. Darn. I wish I had saved it. I will have to poke around. 

Back to Casey. It’s hard to explain. But much of the time I don’t think Casey thinks that there’s anything ‘wrong’ or different about himself. I mean, I think he’s perfect just the way he is but obviously he is not like most people. But when we are watching tv or out and about and he sees someone who has a physical disability he is always concerned. He thinks they need to see a doctor to get help (this is all in a nice way, not in a mean way). Another example. Nurse Staci’s son is blind. He always wants him to get new eyes so he would be able to see. But he doesn’t seem to think he needs to be fixed himself. On a funny note, sometimes he says the person needs Spinraza. If you’re not in the SMA world, Spinraza is a drug that treats SMA. 

Casey was very attentive to the movie and reacted at the sad parts, the parts when the kids were mean, and he laughed at the funny parts.  For someone who can be a grump much of the time, Casey is truly very sensitive and soft and intuitive.  ❤️  

Also, I guess if you’ve never read Wonder by RJ Palacio this probably doesn’t make sense. 

Here is a synopsis-not my words 

Born with facial differences that, up until now, have prevented him from going to a mainstream school, Auggie Pullman becomes the most unlikely of heroes when he enters the local fifth grade. As his family, his new classmates, and the larger community all struggle to discover their compassion and acceptance, Auggie's extraordinary journey will unite them and prove you can't blend in when you were born to stand out.

1 comment:

  1. Ohh I really hope you can find that picture! I'd love to see it😍

    ReplyDelete