Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Ridiculous Morning

The boys had their physicals with Dr. D this morning.  The appointments were at 9:30 and 10:00.  No Collie nurse today but I had everything under control and got up early and took a shower myself so I could get Collie ready.  It always takes us longer than we think to get ready but we were out the door by 9:15 (it took me a while to get Colin in his new chair and find the buckles and harness straps since it's the first time he's actually ridden in the van in his chair).




It was disgustingly blustery and rainy and we were drenched and icy by the time we got into Dr. D's.  It felt more like a fall rain instead of a warm rain like it should be in May.  We were in the office waiting room by 9:27, not bad!

Well, we waited and waited.  We weren't called into a room until 10:08!  Ridiculous!  I went in with Casey first and Julie stayed with Collie.

What a production!   Finally we started doing the talking part.  Casey kept telling Dr. D "that I have to get out of here."  He was also obsessing about getting a shot even though I kept telling him that he didn't have to get one this time.  He also told Dr. D that he was interested in girls :)  Then, since it was a complete physical, Julie helped me get Casey on the table.  I had to completely get him undressed including his socks and AFOs.  Exam and more talking.  Then get him dressed all the way.  Whew.

Then Julie sat with Casey while Colin has his exam.  Colin was a little anxious, which is par for the course, but did okay.  His exam went a little quicker.  Dr. D helped me get him on the table.  Get him undressed, then dressed.  More whew.  Then it was time for shots.  I had warned him that he was getting one--he needed the booster for Pertussis which includes Tetanus and Diphtheria.  I wasn't thinking thinking this so I didn't tell him he'd be hurting for a day or so afterwards from the darn old Tetanus shot.  I HATE them, and I imagine it will hurt him, too, although since he doesn't have as much muscle maybe it won't???  He also got the Meningococcal shot.  The two nurses tag teamed and it was over quickly.  He cried and cried and once it was done he stopped and just whined a bit.

It was still pouring when we left.  We were grumpy and wet.  We called Mel and asked her if she'd be willing to come to see Casey at home for an hour instead of bringing him in.  It was WAY later than we had planned and he was wet...She was happy to do it.

We hit Dunkin' Donuts and headed home.  Colin said he wanted a chocolate munchkin for having to get a shot.


Priscilla was waiting for us when we got home at NOON!   I had originally thought we'd be home by 11:00 at the latest.  Grrr.

Colin got settled into his school bed and they got to work.

Casey had a short break out of his chair and then back up for Mel.  She put some new pages on his DynaVox for him.

I was beat.  Going to the doctor always wears me out (physically and emotionally)  and having done Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights with the boys (no nurse) my sleep patterns are screwed up.  So, Julie and Gene kept an ear out for Colin while I took a nap.

My nap was epic!  Ahhh!   And, Nugget let me snuggle him the whole time.  I had my arm wrapped around him while we both slept.  VERY unusual for him.  He must have been cold!

Now Casey is snuggled on the couch with his DynaVox and beloved ipad watching football, Colin is playing a Nancy Drew wii game with Julie, I'm typing this, and Gene and Jaxon are upstairs on a work call.  Fire in the woodstove.  

PS.  Weighed both boys this morning.
      Casey weighed in at 66 pounds and Colin at 48 pounds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment