Friday, January 24, 2014

I went out on a date by myself!!

This evening I went to the high school and watched a screening of Northern Borders.  Northern Borders is a book written by Howard Frank Mosher one of my favorite authors.  He lives in the North East Kingdom not too far from where my parents lived back in the 80s and 90s.  Anyway, Jay Craven has adapted many of his books into movies and this was one of my favorites so I was excited to hear that they were having a viewing in town.  And, it was a fundraiser for Project Graduation so that makes it even better. 

Maybe 40 or so people attended.  Jay was there to introduce the movie and answer questions and talk about his films afterwards.  That made it even more exciting to me as it added so much flavor to the evening.  The movie was great--it did the book justice although it really only captured one time period of the book which was when the main character was young and came to live with his grandparents in rural Vermont.  I won't blab on about it here but if you're looking for some good reads I'd recommend any of Mosher's books.  See my links below. 

Oh, and what I liked most about Jay Craven is that he talked about why he did movies like these and did them the way he did.  He says he believes that Hollywood shouldn't get all the credit for making good, likeable, profitable movies.  He likes making these regional movies to show that this can be done.  Another interesting point is that he does these on a low budget (but they don't look that way) and he does them in conjunction with colleges around the east.  Students come to Marlborro College from other colleges to get credit and work and learn with these projects.  Pretty exciting stuff for a college kid, for sure. 

Howard Frank Mosher's Site

Northern Borders Kingdom County Productions
 


Gene worked from home today.  Finally got a hold of someone from the group that insures Info Tech and they will have Blue Cross call us.  Yes, still waiting!  Crazy not to have a case manager yet.

Colin did okay in school.  We found the objects he needs for his science project; domino, golf ball, nail and rock, and placed them around the house so at the end of stander time he rolled around looking for them.  Now we have to find a clear, 2-foot tube of some sorts that's a couple of inches in diameter and he'll be ready to start.  Actually, I think he's going to start by weighing his objects first and putting them on the graph.

Casey had a good day.  He made it a half an hour in English and then got his break.  Then they worked on, oh, I forget what but he did it.  And, now that he power chair is fixed, he drove for about 15 minutes in the wellness room trying to get the feel back. 

Me, I puttered.  Took a nap since we had the boys over night. 

Julia couldn't come so I had to make formula, prep the boys room for the night, and I still got to play a chapter of Skylanders with Colin.  Gene felt badly for me, I think, because he went out in the afternoon and wasn't going to be home in time to make anything for dinner before I had to head out to the movie, so he asked me if I wanted some Thai food.  YES!  So I got some Pad Tai with chicken from Vermont Thai.  Gene had to wait a while and was talking with the guy there.  Apparently they are not going to renew their lease, sigh.  They still want to have a restaurant but not where it's at right now.  Phooey.  We haven't gone there frequently but we do occasionally and like having the option. 

I got home around 9:15 or so.  Gene had managed to get the boys into bed and had most of their cares done.  They were listening to UVM basketball on the radio and snuggled in bed.  Colin was making a constant sound--can't quite describe it but it was rather annoying and he had been doing it for over an hour!!  He wasn't worked up or anything as his numbers were good but he was showing his displeasure of not having Mommy at home doing the evening routine.  He is a momma's boy! 

I had a piece of Casey's birthday cake to top off my night, caught up on Facebook and then got ready for bed.  Grabbed my blanket and snuggled in with the boys.  Colin was asleep already as he must have worn himself out by whining for an hour plus he worked pretty hard in school all week. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sue,
    HOORAY that you had an evening off. And that it was "First Rate" is AWESOME! LOVE it!
    I always enjoy stopping by. Wish I could do it more often. I see you mentioned being on fb.....want to send me a friend request? I'm under Lu Wings. I can do that easier than this.....but whatever you're most comfy with is what's MOST important.
    Love flowing your way from the very unusually cold, cold city of Atlanta!

    ReplyDelete