Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Historic Day for SMA Gene Therapy!

*****Historic day for the SMA community today:

There was  meeting at National Institutes of Health, for the Recombinant DNA Advisory Committee in Washington and SMA was the topic.  What does that mean?  I'm not quite understanding it all myself, but the best way I can describe it is that there was a presentation to the committee declaring why they should approve an FDA submission for the first human clinical trials in gene therapy.  The presentation was given by The Research Institute at Nationwide Children's Hospital and Ohio State University where ground breaking research is taking place.  This is one important step out of several to get this program moving ahead.   Several SMA families had the opportunity to speak as well and,  I understand, were quite moving.  I wish I had been able to view the live feed, but I had a Casey meeting :)  Thank you to the parents who spoke for all of us.  And, the answer was a unanimous YES!   If I see a blog that describes it better, I will add the post here.  

Here are the parents and their kids that they 'brought' to the meeting!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment