Saturday, December 8, 2012

Daniel's Service

What to say about a 6-year-olds memorial service?  I'm glad Chris and I went.  I'm glad Connie and Justin and family had a lot of support.   There were two books read that were very fitting and touching.  Daniel's cousin, Heather, had prepared a beautiful tribute to him and read it so well.  I'm amazed at how composed she was.  Justin tried to play the memorial video that MJ created but the wifi was in and out so only part of it was shown.

The room looked 'nice'.  I don't know how to describe it but I'll put some pictures below.  I haven't asked Connie and Justin if it's okay to post but I think they'll be okay with it.  Connie was fine with me taking pictures after we set up.  Chris and I had arrived at the funeral home early so we were able to greet Connie and Justin and help them put some of Daniel's favorite things around the room.  There were stuffed animals, Daniel's doctor costume, a kite that his grandpa gave him, lots of pictures, and a couple of photo albums, books, toy cars, hats and sunglasses.  Daniels urn was up on the altar with some photos of him and beautiful flower arrangements and some blue balloons.

Lots of tears were shed and there were a few chuckles, too.

Afterwards, there was a gathering at Connie and Justin's house so we headed over there.   Lots of chatting and food and just being supportive by being there.  I know Connie and Justin were exhausted but they hung in there--I'm sure they collapsed when most of the people had gone.

So Aunt Chris and I did okay.  Thank goodness for the GPS!  It was perfect.  Springfield is a very odd town.  It was big into industry back in the day but now there are many HUGE factories just crumbling.  The streets are winding and twisty and there are lots of hills.

We made it home by 6:17.  We were supposed to be home by 6:00 according to the GPS's first calculations, but there was lots of fog so Chris drove under the speed limit.

.................

While were were gone, the boys had a good day.   Casey had a shower.  Nancy H and Gene got the boys dressed and loaded up in their chairs and they were off to the Christmas Spectacular at the Essex Alliance Church.  Casey, especially, was very excited that there was a production this year.  Last year they took a year off.  Thank you to PJ, who always makes sure we get tickets and meets us there and hangs out with the boys.  I know the boys enjoyed themselves very much and they behaved themselves, too.  Casey got a little loud when the pastor was doing some talking but Casey just wanted more action  :)

After they came home, Nancy played some Poptropica with Colin while Casey flipped some channels.  Aunt Julia read some Christmas books with him, too.  Thank you, Julia for coming and fairy-izing.  I'd still be behind if you hadn't helped.




No comments:

Post a Comment