Wednesday, August 6, 2014

SMA Awareness Day 6-survived my colonoscopy

I set my alarm for 5 AM so I could finish the darn prep for the colonoscopy.  HIDEOUS stuff.  But I drank as much as I could--definitely not the whole gallon but I think it did it's trick.

Boys were still sleeping when AC picked me up at 8:30.  I had told them I'd be gone when they woke up, and they were okay with it.  Luckily, I had picked a day that we had nurses for both boys and Gene didn't need to go into work for anything.  AND, Julia was able to work today so she did formula and all the other stuff she does. 

It all went pretty smoothly today.  I'll spare you all the details.  I think we were out of there before 11:30 or so.  Stopped at DD in Milton for coffee and sandwiches and got home here by 12:15 or so.  I thought I'd end up being late because my doc had an emergency but a different doc had a no show so I okayed having the other doc.  He was nice, skilled and has been at this for a while--not old but not a greenhorn.  I had Demerol and Versed and was out for the whole thing.  I honestly didn't care about seeing my colon--just was hoping for some good rest, ha ha.  I don't remember much after being asked to go on my left side and the nurse pushing the Versed.  Woke up.  Rolled to recovery.  I don't think we were there very long at all before I was dressed, up and out of there.  OH, I also had some Zofran because I'd had issues with anesthesia before. 

I said hi to the boys--Randi was here for Casey (she's his art therapist) and had a few sips of iced coffee--no desire for food, and headed up to bed.  Tried to read for a few minutes and then gave up and slept, ahhhh!

Not much else happened.  The boys went out for a walk after Randi left.  They enjoyed themselves and Colin didn't even want to come inside!

Just read to the boys some of Wonder.  I'm going to head to bed.

SMA fact below:  

Carrier Information for Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA):

When two (2) carriers of the SMA gene have a child together there are three (3) possible outcomes:
A 25% Chance of having an UNAFFECTED child, a 50% Chance of having a child who is a CARRIER, and a 25% Chance of having an SMA AFFECTED child.

You could, unknowingly, be a carrier of the SMA gene. Carriers of the SMA are healthy individuals who do not have symptoms of SMA. If you are wondering if you or your significant other may be a carrier of SMA, you can find out via a simple blood test. Want more information on carrier testing?
Visit The Claire Altman Heine Foundation’s website
www.clairealtmanheinefoundation.org

Information Collected from Families of Spinal Muscular Atrophy (FSMA) i - www.fsma.org



Don't forget to read my random post from the past below:

September 17th, 2010

Some days are just days, and that's okay!

me
Today was just a day for me.  Nothing too exciting or boring or too good or too bad.  I made grapenut pudding but put a little too much salt in, but it was still tasty!  Julia made us a tuna noodle casserole which turned out pretty well.  I got some things done today but not a whole lot.   So there's my day!

We did get Colin up for art in his kart.  He looked pretty good.  He painted two 'canvases' which was the first part of their mexican art project.  The TV didn't work, but Linda knew what the plan was so they did their thing.  Colin looked so cute using his slings and painting away!  He loved looking down at his hands and making the paint brushes fight each other (he was painting two fisted!). 

Casey, well, he probably had a bad day compared to me and Colin.  He just wasn't quite right.  He had to go out in the hall a time or two and just couldn't settle into his work even when they were doing something he usually likes.  Julie thinks he needs some extra long, good sleep this weekend. 

Gene ended his day by having to get a vole away from Moxie.  Thankfully, Colin and I were on our way out to bed so I didn't have to see it.  Gene quickly grabbed Casey and brought him in and then we closed the door to the yellow room so she had less space to run around in.  He actually said it was the easiest one to catch so far.  Poor Nugget was clueless just doing his thing running around and batting his candy (he steals the hard candy I leave by the door and loves to fling them and bat them and carry them and hide them). 

I get to sleep on the couch again tonight.  Gene took the last couple of nights since I wasn't feeling great.  I hope that next week we can transition to sleeping upstairs.  Brooke has only wakened me once to ask me something but I worry about something going wrong and her not getting us.  I especially worry about this colder weather coming and the condensation building up in the boys tubes and getting their lungs soaked.  I've shown her, of course, how to clear it and she does, but I still worry that it will build up quicker than she thinks.  One of my wishes is to have a built in intercome system.  We have baby monitors but we can't talk back on them--we had some intercoms but they didn't work so well and tended to interfere with the baby monitors.  Maybe we should invest in some new ones and maybe the technology has improved.  THEN I'd feel better about sleeping upstairs. 


No comments:

Post a Comment