Tuesday, August 26, 2014

SMA Awareness Day 24: Zoe's Race

We did it!  It was worth getting up extra early to make it to Burlington for about 8:45 AM.

I had tried to get things organized but getting home so late last night, I didn't feel like doing a whole lot.  So it was a scramble to get things, unpacked and repacked.  Nancy had came around 7:45 and we started getting the boys up and ready for the outing.  They were not happy but survived :)

Oakledge is a beautiful spot.  We don't go very often but it's where the accessible tree house is so we do like to come down when we can.  Picture perfect day, although it was HOT already.




Nancy and I worked on registering (I had only figured out how to register myself on line) and get our numbers and shirts.  Kind of confusing and crazy but we got it done.

We hung around, did a little carb loading, ha ha, for our walk.  It's a perfect set up for a walk/run.  There's the pavilion with bathroom facilities, picnic tables, and power.  There were bagels, and cream cheeses, cut up oranges, coffee, water, etc.  There were several families with special needs there.  I recognized a couple.  Spoke with Cathie Buscaglia, who is the Director of Children and Family Services at the Howard Center.  The Howard Center teams up with Zoe's Race and raise funds for families in the Howard developmental program to get modifications done to their homes to make them accessible.  This is how we got our nice wooden ramp out front.

Casey had a mini meltdown but recovered.  He couldn't really use his DynaVox so I think he was pissed.  

They had a corny band playing and a young man sang the national anthem.   Then those doing the 1 mile lined up.  It hadn't been advertised as such, but the 1K was a run BUT people walked as well.  There were mostly kids doing this one and I don't think it was a timed race but I could be wrong.  We stayed in the back of the pack and took our time. Gene drove Casey in his power chair and was ahead of us.  Nancy, Colin and I took up the rear.  We took turns PUSHING Colin in his manual chair and it was pretty tough.  We were on a paved path, which was nice, but Nancy and I are not the most in shape people so we struggled.  AND, did I say, it was HOT!  

Somehow, Gene missed the finish line with Casey but Colin, Nancy and I made it across and Colin got a medal :)  I made Gene and Casey go over and do the finish and have Casey get his medal. 



After the race we went to the tree house but didn't stay for more than a minute because there were two men in sleeping bags laying there with bags of stuff and it didn't seem quite appropriate to be there. Bummer.

So we waited for the 5K runners to come back.  In the meantime we had some Ben & Jerry's ice-cream, and Gene had some yummy corn on the cob (I had a bite).

Then it was time to go.  We were hot and pooped out.

At home we just hung out and relaxed.  I had to prepare formula.  Nancy did the beds, and that was about all that got done.

No comments:

Post a Comment