Monday, August 4, 2014

SMA Awareness Day 4-We did the U Mall

These are Casey's spoils from our trip to the University Mall today.  Casey technically had summer school today so this morning when Ashley got here they did their thing preparing for the outing.  Last week Casey had a meltdown about going somewhere in Milton.  He really wanted to go to the mall.  I told him that if he was good this weekend that he could go but he'd have to have me and Colin tag along with them.  I think he was okay with that because he was pretty good this weekend.  He was supposed to pick somewhere in Milton for a plan B but I don't think he actually did.  Oh, and he had told us that if he couldn't go to the mall he just wanted to stay home.  He is a stubborn one!!

Anyway, we headed out and got there around 11:00.  Ashley, Julie and Casey went their way while Colin and I went ours.

Our first stop was FYE.  Ended up buying I Frankenstein and Oz the Great and Powerful DVDs and a wii Lost in Blue Shipwrecked.  We looked at so many movies and wiis and had fun browsing.  Then we hit FYE.  There aren't a lot of wii Us that we don't have that are appropriate so it was tough.  Ended up getting a Chicken Blaster (regular wii) for $2.69.  I'm sure it will be dumb but entertaining for an evening or two.  Got a used Ben Ben Omniverse for wii U.  If we don't like them we can return them within 7 days.

Colin and I wandered around the whole mall a couple of times and NEVER heard Casey.  It was weird.  Called Julie.  Finally got her and they were checking out at Sears.  That's why we didn't hear Casey because Sears is set back a bit and a big store.  Casey picked out a flannel shirt and a hoodie as you can see from the pic.  The hoodie has earbuds built in!  Bonus!  Now I just have to remember NOT to put it in the dryer.

Casey wanted to drive his chair to American Eagle so he puttered along.  In the meanwhile Julie bought some chocolates from the Lindt store and I got some pretzel bites from Auntie Anne's Pretzels.  They were more than delicious!  If you know me, around lunchtime I start to get woozy if I don't eat--and I usually crave protein but these did me fine until I got home. 

Casey could not decide what he wanted at American Eagle so we didn't buy anything.  First he wanted blue jeans, then gray jeans, then dark jeans.  I'll just buy him some online and save the fuss.  Plus, I can look at his other ones and see what style they are because we like they way they fit. 





Got boys settled in the living room.  Nurse Julie played the Ben 10 with the boys.  I took a 'read' and a nap.  I started Where'd You Go, Bernadette which AC lent me. 

Brought Jaxon out for our traditional post nap Frisbee throwing.  Helped AC play the Shipwrecked wii game.  It's kind of a boring one but for some reason Colin is into it.






Casey's DynaVox came back today, whoop!  We sent it in on July 25th, so that's not bad.  All they had to do was restore it to new.  The paperwork said something about a virus so the software had to be reflashed.  But, now, we have to back up the pages he's using now (he's been using Colin's) and then put them on the new one.  Easy-peasy, right?  Julie and I are ready to take it on tomorrow.


Some back story on my retro post.  Casey attended a summer school humanities camp and the theme was It's a Mystery!
And, one of our long time night nurses retired and moved to Arizona.




July 23rd, 2010

Casey's Humanities Camp and Terry's Party

cure sma
What a day!!
Everything turned out well.  Casey's Bubblrr at Humanities Camp was cool and Terry's party was a lot of fun.

Did a lot of cleaning up, organizing and readying for the party this morning.  Things looked pretty good.  Julia and I ran out to the 'Woo' store.  I hadn't been there since they moved to a bigger space.  She has lots of neat things there.  I picked up a worry stone for Terry.  I also found one of those Fortune Telling Fish.  Does anyone remember those?  They come in a little plastic sleeve.  They're red, plasticy/cellophane-like fish and you place them on the palm of your hand.  The fish will either curl its head, or tail or both or do nothing or flip over and each thing it does 'tells your fortune.  (I guess it's kind of like a mood ring).    Casey thought it was really cool.

Then I had time to brush my teeth and Gene and I headed over to the high school library to participate in the closing of Humanites Camp and view the movie that the Humanities Camp kids made.  Mr. Wyndorff did such a great job with all the kids. It was a great program.  I wish all the school year could be like this camp as I'm sure Casey would really flourish and learn a lot and show his creativity even more. 

A rep from the Humanitis Council attended.  She seemed very pleased and impressed with the kids and all they accomplished in a week.  I guess 10 communites were given the grant--Comcast gave $10,000 to the program!  She explained how the schools are given the sets of books and the theme and then they run with it.  Our kids got to go on a field trip to Burlington for a Ghost tour, toured UVM (to get them thinking about the future), made a movie, wrote a scary story, illustrated a poster representing how they saw the characters from on of the books, made some snacks, Skyped with a detective from CT about inqueries, and more! 

First, we saw a slide show of the week put to the Beatles "Magical Mystery Tour" which was fun to watch and see the kids in action!

Next we viewed Casey;s story on Bubblr.  It's called "Where is Nugget?"  It was very cute.  Mel showed me how they developed the story and picked the names, scenery, etc,  He really did a good job.  ...........I just tried to find it online but I couldn't.  I'll ask Mel how to access it so I can share. 

Then they showed the movie they made--soo awesome!  The kids did a great job and Mr. Wyndorf did an awesome job with the editing.

All the kids were presented with a Paper Plate Award.  Casey's was the Neil Armstrong award as he had a lot of 'firsts' this week like riding on the city bus and exploring the back alleys of Burlington!

And, The Vermont Humanities Council gave each of the kids a tee-shirt which they all liked.  Nice touch!

At home it was party mode!  Julie put Casey down for a bit to rest his 'biscuits' while we finished working on the veggie platter, started the chocolate fountain, etc.  Julia had sliced up the cheeses and pineapple.  Mom and AC came.  Nancy R came, and then the rest arrived right at 3 o'clock.

The weather was a little iffy--cloudy with some rain drops, so no one went outside.  It worked out okay with people in the living room, kitchen and yellow room.  I had everyone do my Arizona quiz.  Only Gail got 100 percent!  No one got the bonus question which was "which American Idol winner was born in Arizona".  Everyone got a prize, except Nancy R because she cheated by having Casey (with help) look up some of the answers! 

I also had everyone write a note to Terry on an Arizona shaped paper that said, "Farewell, Terry" and had a picture of a cactus on it.  I'm going to gather a couple more and then put them together for her with a ring--kind of like a book.

I think Terry enjoyed herself as did everyone else.  We had cold sodas, the chocolate fountain with:  marshmallows, graham crackers, fresh pineapple, bananas, Nutter Butter cookies, and the ever poplular strawberries,   I think my mom had about 10 chocolate dipped strawberries!  Two kinds of crackers with cheddar, swiss and smoked gouda.  Veggie platter with grape tomoatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, string beans, celery with Hidden Valley Ranch dip.  Way yummy.  Oh and Gail brought an assortment of cookies from Quality Bake Shop (my fav).  The coconut macaroons were delicous with the chocolate!

Terry enjoyed the Home Depot gift certificate from the VNA people and a bunch of other things.  She liked the happiness necklace and worry stone that I gave her and she loved the shirt that the boys decorated for her. 

Clean up was easy and Nancy R and Staci helped a lot. 

No need for dinner this night!  Full!! 

I was exhausted.  I let Nancy and Gene put the boys to bed and I went up early and watched some TV.  I remember Gene coming up and turning the TV off.  Usually I turn it off before I fall asleep but I must have zonked out!

No comments:

Post a Comment