Monday, September 2, 2024

Pentatonix at the Fair!

 It finally arrived.  

I brought tickets on February 20, I believe, when they first went on sale.  There hasn’t been any ‘big’ performers during fair time that Casey was interested in for years.  He always enjoyed going to the Contois local show as they did cool tributes to the Beatles or Queen.  But we were ready for a big show. So when we heard Pentatonix was coming we decided to go for it!  

We had a couple of hurdles:  one, I hadn't been to the fair since the last time I had gone with Colin, which I think was 2013.  For some reason only Casey and Gene went in 2014.  I just couldn't bring myself to go without Colin.  I know, kinda weird, but grief is weird.  Thankfully, Gene and whoever he and Casey ended up going with (usually Nurse Julie) would bring me home a fried dough.  Two, when I bought the tickets, through e-tickets or some big ticket place, they told me that all the ADA tickets were sold.  Like what?  I bought them the first day they were on sale and there's always been room whenever we've gone to a show.  Well, Elton John was pretty packed as there were a lot of old people :)  But Elton John was not at fair time, either.  I called the ticket place again and they said the same thing.  I tried calling the fair grounds and they said they didn't have anything to do with selling tickets anymore. So, since February I'd been having that weigh on me worrying.  I had to buy seats on the floor which would have been a pain with his big power chair AND you never know about the weather during fair time and the floor seats are out in the open and the ADA seats are covered and up a little higher so there's nothing to block the view like floor seats would if you're sitting in a wheelchair. Three: Molly Sue. She still has never been left alone at home as she's a nervous ninny.  So it was decided that Gene and Molly would drive us in the van and leave us off, and Nurse Julie, Aunt Chris, Casey and I would go to the fair and show.   

Now we had to wait 6+ months!  Casey pretty much wished the summer away, lol.  Staci made this count down chart for Casey because he kept asking when the show was going to be.  She also made a fake ticket for him. 


Fast forward to the Friday before the show.  We find out that Owen Reilly was coming up to go camping in Fairfax which is the town right next to us!  Owen is the middle son of our friends, Karen and Bill.  We've know them since their Connor was diagnosed at 6 weeks of age in 2002.  He was 11 months younger than Colin.  Sadly Connor passed in July of 2023.  Connor was Casey's best friend and we would see him and Karen every week day in book group.  But, we're friends for life!  

Owen and friends planned to go to the fair while they were here and our times coincided!  I texted Owen when we got to the Expo building and in minutes he was right there!  It was good to hug a Reilly again.  He spent about an hour and a half hanging with us and walking around checking out the exhibits. 

Casey and Owen!  Casey's eyes are open!

Two pics!

Pollinators was this year's theme

Always have loved the annual sand sculpture.

Record breaking pumpkin!


Me and Owen!

Then the weather turned.  It got dark and windy and we decided to take cover.  Owen had to go meet his friends.  We went to the box office and asked about the ADA seating and if we could change our tickets.  She assured me that if we had needs they by law had to accommodate us.  I felt better after that. 

Then we found Bill W, Julie's bf.  I won't go into the whole story since this blog is mostly for me to remember things and I know all about Bill.  But short story is that Bill, used to cater for all the shows at the fair. He has since retired from catering but he knows EVERYONE at the fair and everywhere else he goes.  If there was to be a picture in the dictionary of a 'people person' Bill W would be there, lol.  

We went into the venue, and of course he knew everyone.  All we had to do is to find a blue shirt person to help us and of course there was one who knew Bill and they ushered us right into the handicap area.  Technically, we all shouldn't have been in there but they let it slide.  From what I remember the boys could have a nurse with them and a companion.  We had a nurse and 3 companions.  It did get pretty packed and there was shuffling around but I think everyone had an okay and comfortable viewing spot.  It's an rectangular are with only fold up chairs so the area could accommodate an assortment of chairs and walkers, etc.

And then we decided we needed food.  Somehow I was elected to go with Bill.  And, then it rained and poured.  It was a mess!  We wanted fried tacos but the line was super long so we ended up with sausages for me and Julie, hot dog for Aunt Chris and roast beef sandwich for Bill.  I don't know how long we were gone but we must have talked with at least 10 different groups of people that Bill knew!  he had to explain to people that I was Julie's clients mom and that he wasn't stepping out on Julie, haha. 





At least we got some rainbows!
Nurse Julie and the rainbow

Me and the Big K.  A little antsy for the show.

Me, Chris and Bill

Not happy about pics at this point





The rain stopped. And then the show finally started.  It really was amazing!  Casey and I had Googled their tour schedule so we knew what songs to expect.  And we watched a lot of their YouTube videos.  I was really looking forward to Bohemian Rhapsody and Hallelujah but unfortunately Casey's belly acted up and he became uncomfortable in his chair so we made the decision to leave the show early.   

We made our way out and texted Gene.  He was already waiting for us at the fair exit.  We got to hear a few more songs on our way out, so that was good.  

We made it home and quickly got Casey down so he could be more comfortable.  Julie did his treatment and got him ready for bed while I unpacked and cleaned up stuff and got things ready for the night.  Nurse Deb is on vacation for 16 days so I am the night nurse.  Julie felt badly for me so she has committed to doing 2 nights this weeks so I won't have to do 16 nights in a row!

Oh, PS.  At one point Julie went out and got us fried dough!  I got the nuggets and Julie and Aunt Chris got the one big one.  These days when you ask for maple syrup they give it to you in a little covered cup.  Much less messy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment